lunes, 28 de septiembre de 2009

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

Charles Dickens in his story “Oliver Twist” has portrayed modernity in all its aspects, for instance the relationship between the city and the country, the lack of good life conditions and loneliness.
When I saw the movie I immediately reflected on those children who live in bad conditions without medicine, warm clothes, food or a house. Nowadays when we see a child begging for money, we don’t care about him/her. Moreover that child is invisible to our eyes. Probably those children use delinquency as their ally to survive in our society and we blame them for their actions. In my case I used to see those kids near to the Posta Central and I don’t do something to help them. Sadly, my individualistic point of view has develop that indifference and modernization has also contributed to my individualism, everything is fast and I don’t have enough time to do something and I don’t devote time to change it.

Oliver Twist must be taught in schools because it makes us reflect on our “modern society” and individualism, and students also could think about children who don’t have parents or a house. In that way they could be more empathic and they could appreciate what they have.

1 comentario:

Clau dijo...

but you CAN do something, as a teacher you have the chance to change things, only if it's one child's life/mind!!!!
Oliver Twist can be applied to any society because it's a reflection of what modernism brought to our lives...


take care,

claudia