sábado, 29 de agosto de 2009

“When I have fears that I may cease to be” by John Keats



As a romantic poet, Keats dealt with nature, but he emphasized on human nature. Clearly fear is one of the most important aspects in human beings. All of us have felt fears in our lives and in my personal experience I have felt fears that frighten me; however I have never wanted to cease to be. After reading this poem I think he was very pessimistic about his life. And I realized that he felt fears about the rational world and love and not being remembered.
Having read his inscription on his tombstone, this reads: “Here lies one whose name was writ in water”, I could understand better his fear of not being remembered. He wrote that because when someone writes something in the water, it can’t endure for a long time. Nevertheless maybe he never thought that he will be always remembered for his poems and his inscription.

1 comentario:

Clau dijo...

How can you relate this poem to teaching? Are teachers immortal because someone else remembers them?

Take care,

Claudia